2 lb Butternut Squash, skin removed, eventually 1 tbsp Olive oil 1 tbsp Butter 1 medium Onion 1 tsp Cumin, ground 3/4 tsp Coriander seeds, ground Salt and pepper, to taste 14 1/2 oz Tomato, chopped (1 14.5 can) 3 cups Chicken broth 6 tbsp Sour cream, (1 for each bowl)
1. Cut your 2lb squash in half, remove any seeds or stringy bits. Season with olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake for approx 90 minutes on 325F. When done, remove the meat of the squash, toss out the skin. Reserve the mush for your soup.
2. Heat oil and butter in a sauce pan. Add the onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Add in the cumin and the coriander. Mix well and cover to let the onions sweat. Leave covered on heat for about 4-5 minutes. Salt generously.
3. Add in your chopped tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, and leave for 10 minutes. Put the pepper in here.
4. Add in the chicken broth and the squash that you have peeled the skin off. Bring to a simmer, cover and let cook for 20-30 minutes. Take off burner and allow to cool just a bit. This it the time to correct the seasoning of the salt and pepper.
5. Take the soup in parts and puree through a blender or a food processor. Continue until all soup is blended to a smooth texture. Serve hot with a dollap of sour cream on top. Garnich with chopped, flat leaf parsley if you wish. I did not have any. ______________________________________________________________________ Per Serving: 69 Calories; 6 g Fat; 3 g Sat Fat; 11 mg Cholesterol; 39 mg Sodium; 3 g Carb; 0.64 g Fiber; 0.92 g Protein.
I am posted this recipe but we need to give credit to Gourmet Magazine, October 03 Issue. Yummy!!!!! You can also do this soup with chiken and cheese, turkey and walnuts. Be inventive.