1 lb Chicken, whole, (make sure whole chicken is fresh) 2 tbsp butter, discarded 2 bunches Sage leaves, fresh, leaves only, no stems 12 fl oz Cream 2 medium lemons, rind/juice of 1, juice of the other 1 tbsp lemon rind, rind of 1 lemon 1 clove Garlic, crushed 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated salt and pepper, to taste
1. Pat chicken dry, cut off any stray fat flaps. Yuck!
2. Heat butter in a dutch oven sort pan. Something that can go in the oven.
3. Place butter in pan and heat, then put chicken in and brown all sides. It will burn your butter. Toss out the brown butter and put chicken back in.
4. Peel the rind off one lemon, just yellow part, no white rind. Toss in on top of chicken. Cut up lemon and wedge into cavity of chicken.
5. Get fresh sage. Pick the leaves off two bunches and toss in pot. Preheat oven at 325F/160C
6. Cover it all with fresh cream. Roll chicken. Put parmesean cheese on top. Bring to a simmer on the top of stove. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper. I like to use lemon pepper. Optional
7. Cover and put in oven for 1 hour. Remove, roll chicken and squeeze the juice of the second lemon over chicken. Discard rest of lemon.
8. Heat another 30 minutes or until done.
9. Remove. You can serve pieces of chicken but it is really tender. We use tongs and pull off pieces. Serve over a dark color, such as mashed pumkin, squash, or even a nice baby spinach. Pour a bit of a cream and cheese sauce over chicken. Serve hot. ______________________________________________________________________ Per Serving: 335 Calories; 32 g Fat; 19 g Sat Fat; 105 mg Cholesterol; 265 mg Sodium; 8 g Carb; 2 g Fiber; 8 g Protein.
Angela bought these peasent dishes just for this meal. I had to make it.